Sunday, January 16, 2022

Veganism and the Evangelical Movement

 Over the past week, I made the decision to become a vegan and switch to a vegan diet. I did this for spiritual purposes, as well as health and ethical purposes. It's something I have toyed with since the age of 16, but finally decided to take more seriously now. Being plant-based has made my life much healthier and happier. It may have also saved lives. Who knows? I'm happy with it. But I can already think of a few people who aren't.


Well, okay. I can't pigeonhole them all. Many Christians and Christian denominations, such as the Seventh Day Adventists, are vegan. However, growing up evangelical and fundamentalist, I remember meat and animal products such as eggs and dairy being a significant part of the church culture. Whether it was potlucks or going over to a neighbor's house after church to eat lunch, it was everywhere. We never really gave much thought to the animals that were killed to provide the meal, or exploited to provide the eggs and dairy; it was food, it tasted good, that settled it. 


I think a lot of it has to do with the way in which animals are viewed. Most Christians, especially evangelical Christians, believe animals have no souls, are different from us, and were put here to be used for the purposes of man. They no longer are part of our world, but are meant to be tools to use in this world. We had dominion over them, so we could do what we please, right? Even as a child, that never set right with me. I was an animal lover growing up. My friends will tell you I am an avid cat lover, but my love extends to all animals. I see them as creatures capable of emotions such as love, kindness, as well as anger, even hate. They make the world a beautiful place, and I always appreciated that. But I was still taught about how they were without souls, would not be in heaven when I die and were just there to benefit us. God made them for us to use, that was it. 


It was only after I left the evangelical bubble that I realized what I had been taught about the world was wrong. Suddenly, my mind opened up to new possibilities. Animals no longer were tools; they were my siblings. Earth was no longer something to hold dominion over; she was my Mother. I began reading as much as I could about animal rights and veganism, which included watching some very uncomfortable, graphic videos displaying animal cruelty in factory farms. My mind was made up; no more fooling around. I wanted to live a cruelty-free life, with my new beliefs on animals and the world. So I became vegan. 


Veganism and vegetarianism is usually looked on with disdain and mistrust by evangelicals, who believe we own the animals and hold dominion over them. Often it is seen as idolizing animals, seeing them as equal or above us. To an evangelical, that is a big no-no; even though, according to the Bible, before the fall, Adam and Eve were most likely vegans and ate a vegan diet; it was only after the flood that meat eating became the norm.


So here's a challenge to my exvangelical brothers and sisters; try to go vegan or at least vegetarian. Try to take a challenge to make one day plant-based. See what a difference it makes in your life, as well as in the lives of animals. I recommend also watching documentaries such as Forks over Knives or Cowspiracy. We have the power, as exvangelicals, to really make a difference in the world. Why not start with a cruelty free diet? Let's show that we care about the rights of animals to live and grow in this world, just like us. They weren't made for us; they were made to walk beside us. And, I think that is truly an incredible thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment